Sunday, April 18, 2010

no schedule, no sanity

I should know better. And I actually DO know better, but I apparently temporarily lost my mind. On Wednesday, we were invited to a 6:30 p.m. birthday dinner for a friend's 2-year-old. Olivia normally goes to bed around 7:30 these days, but we said what the hell and decided to not only go to the party, but to let her have cake and ice cream at 8pm and to not get home until after 9pm. She passed out pretty quickly after being put in her crib despite seeming crazy wired, but woke up really early the next morning and had bad/short naps for days.

And then last night, another friend invited us over for an impromptu cookout at 6pm. We were excited to have actual plans on a weekend night and again cast aside our good judgment. Olivia was so wound up from the two dogs there and all the attention from everyone that she wouldn't even touch the mac and cheese I made for her at home to bring along -- and her taste of my hot dog didn't go over so well. We got home around 9pm and she went right to sleep, but woke up at 7am SUPER grumpy -- like, crying and asking to go back to bed at 10:30. I'm hoping that we can get her into bed at 7 tonight with minimal drama.

Audrey doesn't really have much of a schedule yet, despite my best attempts at creating one for her, but even she's been rocked by our recent nighttime socializing. She wouldn't sleep in her crib last night, so I ended up plunking her in the swing out of desperation and crashing on the couch. She was up every 2 hours all night long, and then stayed up from 9am until 2pm today, when I finally gave up on trying to rock/bounce/shush her to sleep and popped her in the carseat for a little trip around town.

Note to self: do not deviate from the schedule under any circumstances!

No comments: