Wednesday, October 29, 2008

first word?

Yesterday Olivia and I went on a little excursion to the mall. I had a shirt to return at Macy's and a few things to take back from my overzealous spree at Baby Gap a few weeks ago, but I mainly wanted an excuse to get out of the house.

Instead of taking the BOB stroller, I got the Peg Perego Venezia out of the basement and we used it. With Olivia in the actual seat instead of in the infant carrier, I didn't hate the stroller quite as much as I did last time. The stroller basket is a lot more accessible than it is when the seat is flat, but the wheels were still sort of wobbly and I kept kicking them as I walked. Oh, and one wheel squeaked. Annoying! But I digress ...

Olivia had the best time while we were at the mall. She kept raising her hand to wave to people passing by, and occasionally she'd do her little wave and shout, "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Which I'm pretty sure is Olivia-speak for "hi." A few people stopped and said hello to her, and she just grinned and giggled and drooled, happy as a clam to get so much attention.

Today my parents came over in the afternoon, and when I told her to say hi to Grandma and Grandpa, Olivia raised her hand to wave and said hi. Another new thing that started today is her saying, "Haaaaa, cuh!" when she sees the cats. Cuh = the hard k sound, for kitty. She's not even 9 months yet, so I doubt she's trying to say cat just yet, but it seems like she's trying.

I was on the phone a while ago talking to a friend, and as part of the conversation I said, "You know, blah blah blah." Olivia looked at me and said bah-bah-bah. She also does a little "mmmmmm!" and num-num-num sound when she eats. This kid makes me laugh every day.

One new thing that I'm not super thrilled about, though, is her new favorite pasttime of taking a spoonful of food and then blowing raspberries. She coats her high chair tray, me, and the cabinets when she does it. Ugh! Hopefully this, too, will pass ... soon. :)

No comments: