Thursday, February 5, 2009

this too shall pass ...

... but it doesn't mean it isn't frustrating anyway. I'm sure you can probably guess: teething, sleep disruptions. Last night looked like:

7:30 - bed
8:30 - awake
9:00 - asleep
2:30 - awake
3:00 - asleep
3:30 - awake
3:45 - asleep
4:15 - awake

Not the worst night we've had by any stretch of the imagination, but after several weeks of her either sleeping through the night or only getting up once, last night ... well ... sucked.

I just spent the better part of an hour trying to get her to sleep. She was nearly asleep in my arms when I dared plunk her in her crib without her being fully conked out. I did this for two reasons: 1) I know she needs to learn to fall asleep on her own eventually; and 2) I was starving and wanted to come downstairs and eat. Silly me! But she's asleep now, and I'm hoping she stays that way -- dare I say all night long? -- because I have a lot to accomplish for her birthday festivities on Saturday.

True to form when I decide to entertain in some capacity, I'm rocking my typical modus operandi: overthinking everything, feeling overwhelmed, and simultaneously procrastinating. Darn this perfectionism complex of mine! Tonight I'm going to attempt to get the 250+ photos I had printed into an album (fighting the urge to make it absolutely perfect by writing the dates on the back of each photo and making sure the photos are in the album in exact chronological order) and to burn a DVD of her greatest hits to play on the TV during the party (fighting my desire to get fancy and learn video editing software tonight in order to accomplish this).

She's so cute, though, saying bayyyyy-BEEEE! excitedly whenever she sees her photo. And I hate to admit it, but it's pretty funny that she grins and says DA-DA! when I ask her to say mommy. What girl doesn't adore her daddy, after all?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry-- I can relate very much. I was near tears last night with a similar "sleep" schedule. It shall pass, you're right. How fun that she can say some words now- I can't believe it!

surly said...

I hope things get better for you soon! I remember the misery all too well. (heart)