Saturday, September 13, 2008

new things every day

Today Olivia seemed to figure out how to control her hands a little more. In previous days, she'd try to pick up little pieces of puffs that I put on her high chair try, but she couldn't do much but scoot them around the tray and knock them on the floor. Today she not only grabbed the pieces, but she put them in her mouth -- hungrily and greedily, even. It was hysterical to see her sucking on her fingers to try to remove the puff pieces. The bad part of this is the gagging. She's still not sure what to make of the texture or something, because every few puff pieces she'll gag dramatically and her eyes will water (and embarrassingly, I back up a bit in case she spews. I really need to get over my vomit phobia.). Thankfully so far, she hasn't puked from them. Maybe this weekend I'll give her some small pieces of steamed veggies or fruits and see what she does.

She also seemed to imitate me clapping today. She's been studying my hands quite seriously for the last couple of weeks when I clap for her. Today I clapped while singing, and she followed along. Her form of clapping is more like one hand staying still while the other moves toward it, but she's getting it. And it's so cute! It just amazes me every day that she's learning so many new things and turning into such a little person.
She's also having what I think might be mini temper tantrums (at 7 months old? God help me!) after her bath. She loves the water and protests mightily when we take her out and try to dry her off. It takes both of us to get a diaper and PJs on her because she's flailing/crying/screaming so much. Oh my. This is why I only give her a bath every couple of days right now!
As promised, her 7-month pictures:
It was hard to get her to stay still - and as you can see, she crinkled the paper right away ...
Must ... eat ... paper!
This is what we call her "thinking mouth" - she purses her lips and makes that face when she's checking out something interesting.

No comments: