Monday, January 19, 2009

more signs

So in addition to "more," Olivia now does the sign for "all done" and just did "milk" for the first time today! It's so much fun watching her do these things, and it's pretty amazing to me how quickly she picks up on them when I'm so inconsistent with doing them. I'm trying to teach her the sign for cracker next -- right now she just signs more or points and grunts when she sees them. That works too!

She also does the sign for more when I'm singing to her and she wants me to start over, when we're playing and she wants to repeat something, or when I'm reading her a book and we finish it. It's adorable.

She can tell us what a fish says (opening and closing her mouth) and what an elephant says (keeping her lips together and blowing, although sound doesn't always come out). Occasionally she'll say mmmmmmmm for what a cow says, but other times she says "buh," her favorite word. Today we were reading "Good Night Gorilla," and she surprised me by pointing to the elephant in the book and making the sound. She can point out things in books when you ask her to show you where they are -- stuff like bear, chick, strawberry, dog, cat, and even guinea pig.

She's getting better at standing and doing it for longer periods of time, but she still doesn't show any interest in walking. Which is actually fine with me, because I have a feeling that once she starts walking, she won't be content to ride in shopping carts or strollers.

I think that's all the new stuff I have for now ... preparation for her birthday is in full swing. I'm second guessing the dress I chose for her, though, and have ordered a new contender. You'll just have to wait and see what she wears for her big day. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed with the signing. And fascinated. I sounds like she is picking up a remarkable amount of things.