Sunday, June 15, 2008

desperately seeking sleep

Last night we went for a walk on the Monon Trail, which was fun. Olivia looked around the whole time and cracked up when we imitated the techno music of some teenager driving by. Because we'd gotten a little exercise, we decided to grab Taco Bell for dinner. What a disappointing 14-point dinner! I should have known better. To think of the many things I could have eaten for that many points ... sigh.

The night shift was not fun. After rocking, swinging, shushing, bouncing, feeding and everything else I could think of from 10 p.m. (when Olivia started rubbing her eyes and acting tired) until midnight, she slept in her bassinet until 12:30 a.m. A whole 30 minutes. I gave her another bottle and then she fell asleep again until 1-a.m.-something. From then on, I saw every.single.hour on the clock. I didn't even bother with trying to put her in the pack n' play to sleep -- it seems to instantly wake her up -- so the sleep I did get was pretty fitful with her in my arms. I got to "sleep in" until 9:45, but that's a joke, because I was up pretty much every hour all night/all morning.

I don't know if it's the fabled 4-month wakefulness period, I'm doing something terribly wrong, or I'm being punished for doing something dreadful in a past life, but I hope she starts sleeping better soon. I can't imagine having to go to work and be productive while this exhausted. My eyes are all scratchy and my brain hurts.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

All I can say is that you're not alone. Owen has had a rough few nights and I'm really hoping he'll snap out of it soon. I am getting used to feeling like a zombie, though... you?