Saturday, June 14, 2008

poker night was a bust

It was fun getting out and seeing people last night, but I wasn't able to play poker at all. Miss Olivia decided to be shy and pull out her new pouty-lip-tragic-face when I tried to hand her off to anyone else, so I spent most of the evening holding her/feeding her/trying to get her to fall asleep. Once she was asleep, my cousin's wife suggested I try to put her down so I could joint the group. I should have known better, but I thought, hey, what the heck, everyone else's babies sleep lying down! Ooops. Her back hadn't even hit the couch when her arms shot out in the startled pose and she started wailing. It was all downhill from there. It's probably for the best ... the last time I played, my $20 buy-in was gone within 10 minutes.

She didn't go to sleep until 1 a.m. This was especially distressing to me after talking to another couple at poker night whose 9-month-old baby was already in bed at 7 p.m. and home with a sitter. 7 p.m.? That's crazy talk! They did tell me that their child was a horrible sleeper until 3 weeks ago, when they let her cry it out (CIO). Ugh. I just don't like that idea AT ALL. It seems so mean: you can cry all you want, but mommy isn't coming to help you. How they could listen to their child cry hysterically for an hour straight is beyond me. Three minutes and I'm breaking out into a cold sweat and nearly crying myself.

Thankfully, she slept in the pack n' play until around 5 a.m., so I got a few hours of somewhat sound sleep -- dreams and everything! I overslept the 7:30 and 9:00 a.m. Weight Watchers meetings, so I went to the 10:15 session instead. I'm down another 2.6 pounds for a total of 8 pounds since I started 3 weeks ago. Sadly, I won't be in swimsuit shape in time for our beach vacation next month, but I suppose every little bit helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Miss O was so needy last night! And seriously - 8 lbs in 3 weeks is GREAT so stop being so hard on yourself! :)