Friday, July 25, 2008

A new mom friend

Today I had coffee with a woman from our childbirth class. I've had her business card in my wallet for months and just recently realized we'd never connected post-baby. When I saw her last, it was at the OB's office the week we were both induced. We made plans to call each other after we had our babies so we could socialize in the hospital. Ha! We both laughed about how silly that seems now, because of course we weren't in any mood for visiting with near strangers that soon after giving birth.

Thankfully, she didn't think I was a crazy stalker lady when I emailed her 5 months later. It was really nice talking to a mom who has a baby Olivia's age. We have a lot of new mom experiences in common, too -- she also struggled with breastfeeding, though she got better advice from her LC in the hospital and was at least able to pump full time. And she wasn't at all competitive about her child, which is so refreshing. The people I've met so far have all been sort of braggy or aggressive about their child's weight, height, genius status, whatever. It really annoys me, and I've decided that "mom-petition" is highly irritating. I hope I don't ever pull something like that.

Anyway, I think we're all going to get together again soon for dinner. Yay for friends!

No comments: