Wednesday, August 6, 2008

won't be giving her peas again any time soon ...

Oh my. Tonight she gobbled down some oatmeal, a little rice cereal (she seems to like it now; I think the trick is to mix it with water instead of formula), and pears. She still seemed hungry, so I thought it would be a fine time to give her a taste of peas. WRONG-O. She gagged at the first bite but then opened her mouth when I held the spoon up, so I gave her another blob. Big mistake. She gagged again, then yet again, and I knew she was going to blow. Chunks, that is. She promptly barfed all over herself and her high chair, though sort of unceremoniously, and she didn't cry or even act like she knew what happened. If you know me at all, you probably know how emetophobic I am. I was proud that I didn't freak out or get sick myself. I must confess that I did stand up and back away a bit while watching the second gag, though.

The incident sort of reminded me of the time I "helped" my parents by force feeding my sister a bunch of lima beans, which she subsequently spewed all over the coffee table in a technicolor rainbow of foods in various states of digestion (if I'm remembering correctly). Sal? ;)

2 comments:

IrishNYC said...

I don't blame Little Miss O one bit. I love all vegetables, except peas. Grossaroo!

Sarah Layden said...

Oh my god. I remember the lima-puke rainbow being kind of perfect, like those rainbow stickers from the '80s. And it got in the grooves of that table, which was etched with sailboats. The folks still have it! (The table, that is.)

I'd forgotten your role in the lima bean fiasco of '77. ;)