Monday, August 4, 2008

Hatred slowly changing to acceptance

Olivia seems to be ok with oatmeal now -- she ate the entire portion I made for her this morning (which wasn't more than a tablespoon, but still! This is big news.). I think the trick was mixing it with water instead of formula. The formula made it smell not so appealing and not at all like oatmeal, but with water it smells like something I might eat in a pinch. Sweet potatoes? I think she sort of likes them just a tad. Avocado is making her shudder less, so that's also progress. Tomorrow we start peas. I thought maybe I should try giving her a non-sweet-type veggie and see how that goes. I predict lots of shuddering and gagging, and you know there will be video.

Her second bottom tooth is poking through the surface, and I think she's pretty miserable. She was up every 2 hours the other night, just like a newborn. Last night she wouldn't go to bed until 12:45 a.m. Tonight she cried and fought me and finally fell asleep in my arms, but as soon as I put her in her crib or PNP she'd start wailing. Dan was finally able to get her into her PNP after I gave up. Poor girl. I gave her some Tylenol tonight, so hopefully she'll sleep better.

This weekend, with inspiration/advice from some friends and the Wholesome Baby Food website, I made a few things: avocado, sweet potatoes, peaches, and plums. I steamed or baked or mashed everything, then pureed using my handy stick blender, then froze it all in single portions in ice cube trays. I made a mess of the kitchen, but it was fun! I may have to leave making plums to the baby food experts in the future, though. The juice is super staining and got everywhere, and I got splattered when pureeing.

Off to bed -- I think she'll probably be waking up any minute.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Sounds like Olivia is definitely coming around on the solids! Nice! I'm not sure what to do with Owen - he gets SO frustrated when we spoon feed him. We might try chunks of food but I'm scared of the choking issue.

That's awesome that you made so much food this weekend! You are wonder woman!

Teething sucks, doesn't it? I hope you get some sleep tonight!